[NTLK] Bad Re-celled Rechargeable Pack for MP2000/2100

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Sep 28 2006 - 22:16:54 EDT

Well the title pretty much says it all...
[NTLK] Bad Re-celled Rechargeable Pack for MP2000/2100

But let me clarify it a bit more...

I was discussing the topic with a fellow Newton User having issues
charging a re-celled rechargeable pack from an unknown
source/re-celler.

After the Newton User sent me his Newton I discovered a few facts that
would likely be of interest to some of you out there if not all of
you.

1. The re-celled rechargeable pack was way WAY out of specs regarding
it's physical dimensions. It was too THICK to be inserted into the
Newton. I tried inserting this pack into my test Newton and it would
not even go in more than a 1/4" before getting stuck... Very BAD
re-celling job. I examined the Newton Users Newton and it had a few of
the case screws loosened to accommodate the pack...

2. The re-cell pack when compared to my Modified Battery Tray with (4)
AA NiMH 2400 mAh Cells was way WAY too light... I was given permission
to tear the pack down and investigate deeper and discovered that who
ever re-celled the rechargeable pack used (4) AA NiCD 1000 mAh Cells
(happened to be RadioShack Brand).

Now we know that the OEM Rechargeable Packs are filled with (4) AA
NiMH 1200 mAh Cells (usually Green; I believe Varitech OEM Brand or
Unlabeled)..

The charging circuitry definitely was not intended to charge NiCD and
that might be why it was in 'Waiting' status most of the time and
sometimes charged the cells after a long LONG wait....

I know that when I inserted my Modified Battery Tray into this User's
Newton it immediately started charging the cells. Luckily it's
charging circuitry is still functional but that re-celled rechargeable
pack is long gone now after I broke it open to investigate but that
only proves to remind us to be careful about re-celled rechargeable
packs from unknown sources and what not...

So please check and compare your re-celled rechargeable packs!
Be careful if it has problems charging! 'Waiting' status too long.

HTH

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung