Re: [NTLK] FlashPoint

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Tue Dec 04 2007 - 08:10:31 EST

On Dec 4, 2007 2:17 AM, Jon Glass <jonglass@usa.net> wrote:

> Personally, I don't know how the Newton could be applied properly to
> GTD without a lot of fudging. For people who used the Newton's
> capabilities like I did, for a rather linear schedule, it's a breeze,
> but when you start compartmentalizing things, it gets tougher. My
> first instinct is to use the built-in apps, like Notes, with
> Checklists (use the Folders for projects--you'll need More Folders),
> but since I don't need GTD, I've only followed it from curiosity... I
> need to re-read what you wrote on your seb site...

(For the benefit of casual GTD readers)

Well, David Allen really says you need one thing: a list. Preferably
one would have a calendar as well (because, really, what's the point
of being organized if you're not on time as well). Even projects are
just a list because you should be able to figure out the "Next
Actions" merely by asking yourself what the very next thing you have
to do to complete it (or move toward completion) is.

Obviously Dates provides the calendar, but there are plenty of other
apps out there that offer a basic list or checklist. The only
functionality that the list needs is the ability to split it up by
"Context". As Jon mentions, even using Notes' hierarchal "checklist"
stationary would be more that enough (although I personally would hit
the 8k limit quick, and using BiggerNotes would probably make it too
slow) or multiple checklist notes (one per context).

I use NewtToDo with one folder per context and a folder for projects,
so that's always another option.

And, of course, there's the MoreFolders and Dates option as well.
Although, I believe David Allen would probably suggest avoiding this
as he feels that stuff on your calendar should only be what absolutely
must be done on that day. So a lot of one's "Next Actions" wouldn't
necessarily live in your calendar, but obviously the whole trick to
GTD is finding the way it works for you.

My problem is I rarely am able to pull myself away from the mountains
of work to do the reviews, so, Eckhart, you're very fortunate to be
able to do your reviews _more frequently_ than suggested. :)

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/