Re: [NTLK] NCK 2.0 and the MP 120

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Dec 14 2007 - 12:30:28 EST

All of the Apple Newton connection software does not like XP. People have
tried slowdown.exe in various configurations and quantities to a greater or
lesser level of success. I am one of those that could not get it to work
reliably. I found the best solution was to install Microsoft's free
VirtualPC and then in the virtual PC install a small instance of Win98SE. I
am currently using that virtual PC to do all of my connection work and
development work. My 120 was a 2.0 machine and has long since gone where
good Newtons go when their screen gets broken (IE. the bottom drawer of my
storage cabinet). But I have an Emate and a 2100 that use NCU rather than
NCK and the virtual PC solution works for them flawlessly. I also run NTK in
the virtual PC when creating Newton software. I hope this helps.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
mhowe@gfn.org (Newton)
http://santa-duck.dyndns.org:8080/ (Newton server)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/ (desktop)

Oliver Leaman wrote:
<snip>
Thanks for all the help on finding the right program for a Windows computer
and the 120. I have tried to install the package but presumably it only
works on an older machine, since it is not installing. Following recent
messages, I should I suppose install an earlier version of Windows for NCK
2.0, and if so which is the right one and where can it be found?
<snip>