Re: [NTLK] NewtNotes vs. CardMedia

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 10:36:00 EST

While I don't have Endnote (nor have used it), looking at the
information about endnote (
http://www.catamount.com/NewtonApps/NewtNotes.html) I notice two things.
 First off to transfer data it uses tab delimited files which means most
likely it will still work. You may not be able to use/add the latest
features if Endnote has created some since the Newton package was last
worked on, but the basic features should all still work. To confirm
this I would contact the author at newtnotes@catamount.com or
support@catamount.com. He is still around developing other software as
you can see from his website. I don't believe he is still developing
for the Newt, but last I heard he still supports his software and most
likely will do a few tweaks if they are needed. You will need to talk
with him to confirm this, but I suspect he will work with you if needed.

Now with regard to CardMedia, I see that there is a nice reference suite
addon package for it. And of course it is open source so you could
tweak it if you had the time. Being that it is in Names, you can export
that with various tools as a tab delimited file that you could import
into Endnote (since it apparently can import that as that is what
NewtNotes does). If I remember correctly NCU can export Names in this
format. Also another great program for this X-Port works well but it is
hard to acquire now. And there are others though the names elude me at
the moment.

Ah I also just noticed that in the CardMedia References suit it has a
package to generate a bibliographic entries for a report from selected
books and/or articles and dump that to works or notes which you should
be able to export easily to a tab delimited file then import it in to
Endnote. I assume Endnote has the ability to set up a how the file is
imported

So in summary, it depends on what you want to try. If you want a more
seamless import/export into endnote then I would contact the author of
NewtNotes, see what he says as to compatibility, and if he is willing to
tweak it if needed. If you want to save the money and just do it
yourself I think you can get CardMedia to work with some
adjusting/fussing. But I have never tried Newtnotes nor have I tried to
do this with CardMedia, but I have done exporting/importing of tab
delimited files without a problem.

-Dan