Re: [NTLK] OT: Ideas for dead Mac Classic SE/30?

From: James Grubic <jgrubic_at_bozeman.k12.mt.us>
Date: Tue Feb 13 2007 - 11:59:32 EST

You need two tools for opening the case on machines with this form
factor. One is a hex tip screwdriver (wrench?) that is long enough
(3/32" if the Intraweb is correct). These can be obtained at most
hardware stores. I haven't done this in a while, so I don't know if my
Wiha electronics set is long enough or gives enough torque to open it.

The second tool is essentialy a metal hinge, designed to use leverage to
pry the case itself open once it is unscrewed. This can be very
difficult if you don't have the right tool, and the plastic around the
edges can be damaged if you use a screwdriver or knife. I happen to have
a large one that I now use to pry open iBook cases. If you've opened up
an iPod, then you know how much of a hassle it can be to open without
the correct tools.

You can of course replace the SCSI hard drive and use the machine as a
super cheap mailserver, but it's debatable whether it's worth the time
and effort. You can gut it and put a PC inside, do the fish tank,
terrarium, or whatever. Either way, make sure that the components
ultimately get recycled and not dumped into a landfill.

http://www.beanos.com/~tsoutij/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Macintosh+PC

James