Re: [NTLK] Recharging Energizer e2 Lithium Cells

From: Dale Raby <daleraby_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 12:54:30 EST

Experiment discontinued for the present with the following results:
The cells were removed before the green LED charge indicator illuminated.

The cells were physically hot to the touch, not too hot to pick up and
handle, but quite warm. According to Energizer's FAQ on these, operating
temperatures are from -40 F to 140F. These cells were not that hot, bearing
in mind that they were charged in an environment well below freezing. If
charged indoors at an ambient temperature of 68 F, they probably would have
exceeded the operating temperature. That might well have caused bursting.

Upon removing the cells, I tested two of them in a County Comm GP4 radio.
The radio played with no problems.

Next, I put all four cells into a Newton MP 110. The Newton booted up
normally. The charge indicator showed a charge level of about two-thirds.
As the batteries cooled, however, the charge level dropped to less than
one-third.

Conclusion:

Most probably the cells did not take a charge and the apparent re-energizing
was due to the elevated temperature of the cells. While I suspect that with
proper hardware and procedures being followed, these cells could be charged,
the procedures and hardware necessary to do so are not presently available.

Repeat this foolishness at your own risk.

Dale the Mad Scientist