[NTLK] Prototype eMate 300

From: Ermin Mistica <erminmistica_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jan 04 2007 - 09:36:59 EST

Hello fellow Newtonians,
It's been a long long LONNNNNNG time since I've posted. I had dropped
out for a time while I got my life in order this past year and
getting back online I noticed I was missing a certain daily digest,
my NewtonTalk list! So I rejoined. I used to have almost every
iteration of the Newton but have pared down my collection to two
MP2000s (upgraded), one original MP2100, and three eMates (one is
upgraded, one as is and one prototype).

Now you may be asking about the prototype. I saw it in a window about
ten years ago at some little Macintosh repair shop in UC Davis,
California. I asked about it and they said it wasn't for sale. Months
later, I couldn't get it out of my head. I called the shop and
emailed them asking if I could buy it. I was a huge Newton fan/user
and please could I have it. The shop owner said he would sell it to
me for $400 as that's how much some eMates were going for on eBay at
the time. He said it wasn't working but the light would come one when
you plugged it in. It was previously owned by an Apple Employee who
would use it to help diagnose Mac Computers in repairing them.

I've had it ever since. It's really pretty to look at considering
clear Newtons and the ever rare clear Powerbook (I remember seeing
one in the movie Hackers) was floating around somewhere in
CyberSpace. Anyone reckon they know how to get it working? I'm not
selling it but I do have another eMate I'm willing to cannibalize for
parts to make it work.

Check out my Flickr site for pictures of it http://www.flickr.com/
photos/darchangel/

Ermin

PS: It's good to see the Newton Community still at large. I had used
my MP2100 from 1997 to 2003 when I switched over to my Kyocera QCP
6035, even then I still used my Emate 300 for taking extensive notes
in class.

...and still like dust, I rise...
-Maya Angelou