Re: [NTLK] New: DyneE5 OpenSource Newton Emulator (alpha)

From: <jabberwock_at_poetic.com>
Date: Thu Jan 04 2007 - 15:35:49 EST

Who needs Sagan when we have heroes right here? This is another fantastic project!

Some of you will remember the Apple // that started all this. One of the best programs ever to run on the Apple was called The Visible Computer or maybe The Visible 6502. This program was an emulator of the Apple itself. If I remember correctly, you could peek & poke memory locations, write programs and step through them, observe various registers as a program was running, and all in a visual, risk-free environment that really helped it all make sense. It could have been a powerful learning tool but for some reason it never got much public attention. Hmmm, I wonder if Apple Computer killed it in some paranoid legal upheaval...

Today's computers don't lend themselves to this kind of discovery. It is a great loss for 12 year olds that there is no good way to gain an intuitive understanding of what's happening inside their computer. I'm sure Steven and what's left of the Beagle Bros agree. This could be just such a tool- a way to dig around inside a Newton without breaking anything. Some of us old folks can say 'Aha, so that's why xyz never worked!' and young folks can find new ways to pimp out a Newt. Who knows, there may be a renaissance and our Newtons will become valuable again!

My programming days are over, but I hope this project is adopted by all you wizards out there.
BTW- my memory is poor, I'm attaching some info about the emulator below, more is available online.

cheer
Tom Swell

from:
http://homepage.mac.com/bobsc/aal/1983/aal8303.html

Review: "The Visible Computer: 6502" Bob Sander-Cederlof

For five years I have talked about it. "Someone should write a program that illustrates 6502 code being executed, using hi-res animation."

Software Masters never heard me, but they did it anyway! "The Visible Computer: 6502" is an animated simulation of our favorite microprocessor. You see inside the chip and watch the registers change, micro-step by micro-step. You even see the "hidden" registers: DL (data latch), DB (data buffer), IR (instruction register), and AD (address). You see HOW the instructions are executed.

I was amazed at the quality of the documentation. You get 140 pages of easy-to-follow, fun-to-read tutorial and reference text. The manual assumes only that you have an Apple, and are moderately familiar with Applesoft. It doesn't try to teach everything there is to know about machine language, but it does deliver the fundamental concepts.

Thirty demonstration programs are included on the disk, which progressively lead you through the instruction set. You begin with a two-byte register load, and work up to hi-res graphics and tone generation. All of the example programs are explained in detail in the manual. Of course, you can also trace your own programs or programs inside the Apple ROMs.

You can also use the simulator as a debugging tool, if your program will fit in the user memory area. The simulator provides a 1024-byte user memory, plus a simulated page zero and page one. You can also use $300-$3CF, if you wish. One unusual tool for debugging purposes is a full 4-function calculator mode, which works in binary, decimal, or hexadecimal.

Here is a list of the commands available at the normal level:

    BASE select binary, decimal, or hexadecimal
    BLOAD load a program to be simulated
    BOOT boot disk in slot 6, drive 1
    CALC turn on 4-function calculator
    EDIT short-cut entry of hex code into memory
    ERASE clear screen (so graphics can be seen)
    L disassemble five lines of code
    LC select memory for displayed in left column
    PRINTER turn on/off printer in slot one
    RC select memory for display in right column
    RESTORE restore normal screen display
    STEP select one of four simulation modes:
                   0 -- fastest, no display update until BRK
                   1 -- Full display, simulate until BRK
                   2 -- Full display, simulate one instruction
                        with no pause between steps
                   3 -- Full display, simulate one instruction,
                        pausing before each step
    WINDOW select one of three display options:
                   MEM: window shows 16 memory cells
                   OPEN: window is blank
                   CLOSE: window shows "hidden" 6502 registers
    <addr><value> store value at memory address
    <reg><value> store value in register

A "MASTER" mode can be turned on, which enables more features and commands for experienced users. In the master mode you can use the REAL zero page, you can modify any location in memory (even the ones that are dangerous!), you can BLOAD and BSAVE on standard DOS 3.3 disks, and run previously checked subroutines at full 6502 speed.

I know that a lot of you are looking for some help in understanding assembly language; "The Visible Computer" may be just the help you need. Let your own Apple teach you! Some of you are teaching 6502 classes; "The Visible Computer" is the most helpful teaching tools I have ever seen.

I was gratified to learn that the author is an old customer! He used an older version of the S-C Assembler for coding the longer examples, and the assembly language portions of the simulator. We even got a free plug on page 108!

The normal retail price of "The Visible Computer" is $49.95, our price will be an even $45 to readers of Apple Assembly Line.

--
Low Prices, Wide Selection of Gas Masks
Everyday low price guarantee. We offer special police discounts and an extremely wide selection of gas masks, filters and huge selection of preparedness gear.