[NTLK] Newton to help find impact craters?

From: Alan <gomphos_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Jan 06 2007 - 11:41:25 EST

With some time to pass on a flight to Indianapolis last July and
reflecting on a cable show I saw about Gene Shoemaker and impact
craters I thought I'd try to find one. Although I saw one possible hit,
it was too much of a judgment call. On a flight from Tampa to Cleveland
last month, though, I found two strong candidates. One was "within
thirty miles" of Atlanta (at least that's where the pilot said we
were). It had to be a few miles across and it had been peppered with
homes and fields. It was largely circular and had a small rim on the
northern side.
The other one I saw later in a mountain range. Mountains all about
except for one jagged round divot in a riverless valley. There seemed
to be no man-made anything around except for a road on a nearby
mountain.

Anyway, the point of all this is that I wish I had a GPS card for my
Newton. Had I had one (and assuming GPS devices are allowed to be used
in flight - of course I would have asked first), I could have easily
pegged these locations (or at least near them) and the used Google
Earth to find them again. I would love to confirm an impact crater!

Maybe it's just me. Anyway, sorry for rambling.