Re: [NTLK] Hacked WiFi driver

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Jan 06 2007 - 19:21:28 EST

~~~ On 2007/01/06 21:06, RAParker at quadzillanet@newted.org wrote ~~~

> On Jan 6, 2007, at 7:07 AM, Milan Votava wrote:
>
>> It appears I have managed to hack Hiroshi's Wave LAN driver so I can
>> connect to WEP enabled network even after the trial period (30 days)
>> has expired.
>>
>> Now I have a moral dilemma: Shall I share my hack with other
>> Newtonians, who have like me no chance to register the driver anymore
>> due to Hiroshi's decision to do not process registration any longer?
>>
>> Your thoughts?
>
> I have been wanting to purchase a license to Hiroshi's WaveLAN driver
> since the moment I (we newtontalk members) heard (suspected) something
> was about to happen. At the time registration was closed, it was too
> short of a notice and I hadn't yet invested in a wifi card, so I lost
> out. However, I am still willing to pay the license fee, even for a
> hacked version.
>
> I propose, for those who want the hacked version, go ahead and pay for
> it anyway, thereby removing all guilt about using it. However, now the
> question is, how do you pay for it? That may be the million dollar
> question.
>
> Can anyone verify a valid email address for Hiroshi? One could simply
> send the registration fee via paypay to his email. But the question
> would always remain as to whether he can/will/does eventually accept
> these funds. I wouldn't necessarily be interested in sending money
> randomly out into cyberspace.
>
> We could also setup an (trust-like) account for him, so that everyone
> who wants to, can pitch in their fees. The size of this account
> constantly growing might convince Hiroshi that there is still an
> interest in his software efforts.
>
> My thoughts...
>
> Ron
>

> --
> Sent using Mail for Mac OS X. Cyberdog lives!
> --
> RAParker
> |\/|\
> |/-|/
> |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET
> --
> My name is R A Parker. I own a Newton and a Mac.
> --

Ron

I have to admit I like this idea, however futile it might seem just now.
How would we go about doing this, and who would administer it etc? And when
would we decide he really intends to ignore it?

Shalom.
Christian

NewtonPad: the computer of tomorrow ‹ yesterday.

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/

Refresh yourself from our MUG: http://www.oxmug.org/