Re: [NTLK] FW: Fwd: Hacked WiFi driver

From: Dale Raby <daleraby_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 15:06:46 EST

On 1/7/07, Apostolos Koutropoulos <der_admiral@mac.com> wrote:

> Just to interject here:
> for patents: you need to apply and be awarded a patent in order to
> have claim to one
> for copyright: copyright is automatically awarded to a creator as
> soon as the author has a work made. No need to do paperwork or
> anything. it's automatic

This is true. I hold copyright to this sentence the moment it is stored in
some kind of permanent form, however, I might have trouble in court if
somebody else says he wrote it first. If, on the other hand, I
registeredmy copyright with the appropriate governing body, I would be
able to prove
that the sentence or whatever other work is in question did in fact exist
and was done by my hand at a specific time. The question of who wrote it
first is then easily established.