Re: [NTLK] NotePhone 2

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 16:23:12 EST

I remember back in the day, I was supplying Newtons to Mitre corp at a new building they had just built. The building had several floors designed to be used with the Newton, including the newly released (at that time) MP2000. This was at the beginning of the "open office" craze where cubicles and closed offices were being shunned. Employees were issued an MP2000 which was their lifeline to everything. The designed floors were equipped with wireless which the newtons used to maintain a network connection and to offer location based services (like Star Trek com badges). Work stations had a basic phone that allowed you to dial a number and basic features. There was a cradle molded into the phone that accepted an MP2000. Once the Mp2000 was recognized, that workstation reconfigured based off of your settings stored at a central server. For instance, if you were to hook your laptop into the workstation docking station, the network access you would have would be based on your
 configuration triggered by your newton being recognized at that location.
  I seem to remember that this phone cradle was a Siemens badged device.
  Mitre had made considerable additions to the built-in apps as well. While I was delivering another dozen Newtons, a guy in the elevator demonstrated how the address book had an addition to it called locate. Pulling up a contact, then hitting the routing slip, you could select "locate" and a floorplan of the building would pop up and a flashing asterisk would indicate where the person was and a flyout would give the physical location. If you did this for a group, tapping the asterisk would initiate a flyout with each person's location.

  I have never seen this anywhere else other than Mitre and have not seen a picture of the phone anywhere since. When the Newton was discontinued, all equipment was trashcanned. I heard rumors that employees were given the option of keeping the newton, but most turned them in and they were then thrown away. I attempted to dumpster dive on many occasions and almost got arrested once, but never was successful in recovering any of the hardware at Mitre...
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
  Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com

Grant Hutchinson <grant@splorp.com> wrote:

On Jan 7, 2007, at 6:49 PM, Sonny Hung wrote:

> Anyone out there ever hear about a NotePhone 2 outside of Siemens?
> I know
> that any requests I have made or ask of has fallen on deaf ears...

Have you tried contacting Hannes Wolf (AKA Cybear), whose images of
the NotePhone 2 appear in the Newted Gallery? Perhaps Robert Benschop
has additional contact information, as he orginally helped obtain the
images from Hannes.

http://www.newted.org/gallery/notephone/

g.

Grant Hutchinson > Interface Considerations & Toys

Weblog > www.splorp.com
Newton > www.newted.org
Design > www.veer.com
Photos > www.flickr.com/photos/splorp