Re: [NTLK] FW: Fwd: Hacked WiFi driver

From: James Wages <james_at_kiramek.com>
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 09:02:39 EST

It never ceases to amaze me how many of you folks spend so much time
standing up on your soap box and acting as trial lawyers for people who
aren't even active on this list and who don't even respond to your email
messages!

I personally couldn't care less if this person is or once was a Newton
developer -- I feel no need to worship the man or his work. Nor do I feel
the need to lookup his address here in Japan, break into his house and rob
him of all he has. I am indeed neutral toward this particular developer.
But I can say that if Hiroshi Noguchi is interested in defending his
"rights" then let the man speak out for himself. And no... old info posted
on the net or with his driver is no substitute for his commenting
here-and-now, nor are comments from other Newton developers a substitute for
words from "the horses mouth."

If Mr. Noguchi can't comment on this list, on his website or to one of you
NewtonTalk list members who have recently written to him (even in his native
language of Japanese), then it's clear he has nothing but apathy for the
Newton community, or perhaps he is simply no longer among the living. And
if he has turned his back on all of us, so what?

Also, please spare me and everyone else on this list the diatribe about how
software is patented and copyrighted "automatically" and for "all eternity,
even a thousand years after the death of the author." I'm sick and tired of
hearing such nutty thinking (e.g., "there's no such thing as abandonware")
which also implies there is no such thing as a statute of limitations,
depreciation, entropy, etc. Whether you like it or not, things change over
time. And no, the whole world isn't seeking happiness by stealing software,
music or videos, despite what many try to feed us -- and especially not on
the Newton platform. I suspect that the level of "piracy" in the Newton
world has largely remained unchanged for the past 10 years.

The sky will not fall over one man hacking a driver that is no longer
actively supported by its author. The Newton community will not die. And
no, Newton developers will not run away in droves. Life will continue on.

Now put this topic to bed, guys. That's where I'm headed.

Good night,

James Wages