Re: [NTLK] {NTLK} iPhone v. Newton 2x00

From: Mark Bock <markbvt_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 17:29:49 EST

>Personally, I think the iPhone is the first foot on the moon for
>Apple to release new products that will have some of the iPhone
>functionality.
>
>I'll simply say: wait for the next gen iPod to see what I'm talking
>about.

Agreed. I'd be extremely surprised if a hard drive-based iPod didn't
follow in the next few months that's basically an iPhone without the
phone, but with a whole lot more storage. And hopefully with Wifi and
Bluetooth as well.

I understand everybody here clamoring for stylus input and HWR,
although I have to admit that I don't really care about that much
myself. My handwriting has become so appalling from lack of use that
even using my Newton has become a chore. I'm better off with the
predictive keyboard in the iPhone, I expect.

What I'm really hoping is that the iPhone will be fully expandable
from a software perspective. If Apple does indeed lock it down and
disallow user-installed software, it could be a deal breaker.

On the other hand, even if it still isn't as good as a Newton,
there's little doubt that it will be by far the best smartphone on
the market...

--mark

--
. . . . .