Re: [NTLK] iPhone & 3d-Party Apps

From: Apostolos Koutropoulos <der_admiral_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun Jan 14 2007 - 11:39:02 EST

Steve does have some valid points

[QUOTE]
And to make the product that Jobs wanted, he wants control. He told
MSNBC that “You don’t want your phone to be an open platform. You
need it to work when you need it to work. Cingular doesn’t want to
see their West Coast network go down because some application messed
up.”

Jobs doesn’t want to see the iPhone overloaded with third party apps
that fill the iPhone memory to capacity, slow it down with badly
written applications that take too many resources, or in any way
impede the iPhone from working when you want it to.

[END QUOTE]

Having used PalmOS phones and PocketPC/WindowsMobile phones I know
first hand that smartphones are destabilized when third party apps
are thrown in (heck sometimes even when there are no third party apps
the phone crashes!) I would say however that I have also used S60 and
UIQ phones and I have never had problems with the symbian platform -
and that is open - so open platforms can be done well.