Re: [NTLK] NCX: problems connecting via Ethernet

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Mon Jan 22 2007 - 22:20:03 EST

On Jan 22, 2007, at 5:27 PM, Riccardo Mori wrote:

> <snip>
>> It seems that those that have ethernet routers have better success
>> with automatic settings than those with direct connection.
>> Those with direct connection seem to do better with manual setup.
>>
>> Good luck
>
> Still no luck, I'm afraid. I tried creating another Internet Setup,
> specifying manual settings for the connection. I tried going back to
> DHCP.
Eliminating DHCP as a point a failure is a good idea to get started.
Once you get it working with a manual setup, you could try DHCP again.
> I tried sharing the Internet connection my TiBook receives from
> the AirPort home network, renew the DHCP lease, retry the ethernet
> connection with the Newton.
The DHCP server on the Tiger sharing prefpane has some problems also,
so, again, try using a manual setup until you get it working.
> I tried with or without AppleTalk on the
> Network setup both in the Newton and in the TiBook.
Appletalk is a non-issue, so don't bother fiddling with that.
> So far, nada.
Try hooking a switch or hub between the powerbook and the Newton.
There have definitely been issues where this was a solution (although
not a great one).
> But
> I'm awfully busy these days and I'll retry in a later moment. I'm
> sure I'm doing something wrong somewhere or missing something,
> because if other people have used NCX with Ethernet successfully,
> surely there's some mistake from my part.

You didn't really say if your ethernet connection is working fine
otherwise?
> Side note: it's quite disappointing downloading the NTLK postings,
> seeing many email with "NCX: problems connecting via Ethernet" and
> realising that now the discussion has quickly moved somewhere else,
> debating serial vs ethernet connections. It's interesting, but not
> quite helping as regards to my problem.
Sorry, so it goes. We are still here though.

> Instead, thank you Woody for your in-topic input :)
Yes, it's true, Woody rocks.

Marty