Re: [NTLK] Portable Apps

From: <knowtree_at_aloha.com>
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 17:56:19 EST

"Goodwin, Greg P." <GoodwinG@aafes.com> wrote:
> I heard of a web page of free portable applications from a
> friend, and this movement might even be open source? Not
> sure. Anyone look into this? Here is the list of
> applications that have been ported to a more portable format....
>
> Doc Clu
>
> http://www.portablefreeware.com/

Not sure how this relates to the Newton; the linked-to site is all Windows
related. "Portable" in this case refers to the ability to run software from
removable media, without the typical installation sequence and with nothing
left behind. Quite different from software that has been ported to
different operating systems.

For a good description see
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Software>

One of the best resources for the open-source "movement" is here:
<http://sourceforge.net/> The well-known titles are portable between
operating systems -- Apache, Open Office, AbiWord, etc.

If you look really hard on SourceForge you will find my all but abandoned
Open Slate project (ranked around 10,000th place in activity):
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/openslate>

I hope someone finds this useful.

Gary Dunn
Honolulu