[NTLK] NCU via Basilisk or PearPC under Windows XP - Part II & Correction

From: MIB <mirceab_at_tag.starnets.ro>
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 19:40:59 EST

Before anything else, I made a mistake in the previous message:
whenever is written "PearPC", I actually meant "SheepShaver", the
PowerPC emulator. Mea culpa.

Secondly:

I found another report, from Abraham
(<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?a=116050943400004&r=1&w=2><abraham ()
familialimpo ! net>), more recent (2006.10.10), mentioning a
successful serial connection via NCU Newton-SheepShaver, under Ubuntu Linux.

The questions would be:

1. How is it possible that SheepShaver and Basilisk share the same
deffect regarding serial support (if this is the case, my attempts
did not succed with neither)
2. This being the second favorable report under linux, I wonder if
its possible to achieve the serial connection as follows: Windows XP
-> Virtual PC or VMWare with Linux, Ubuntu or Debian -> Basilisk or
SheepShaver.
If I am not altogether wrong, the deffect appears to be in
Basilisk/SheepShaver serial drivers _for Windows_, which ex-plains
why the emulator running under Linux works fine. Therefore, the
double Russian-puppet style virtualization (Linux virtualized under
XP and running a virtual Classic Mac/Power PC) should in principle work.

I wish I avoid as of now the complicated operation of partitioning
the disk and installing Linux natively. I want a handy solution, not
one implying rebooting, etc.

For convenience, the first part of my post is bellow.

Greetings, Mircea
Hi.
I do not succeed in connecting the Newton to my emulated Mac, in
order to use NCU. This applies to both the classic 68k Basilisk
emulator and to the PowerPC emulator, PearPC.
I researched the database of newtontalk, regarding the possibility of
connecting the Newton to Basilisk on Windows XP via serial, using NCU 1.0.
 From a selection of former posts (see bellow), there appears that:
* the serial connection does not work
* this is due to Basilisk for Windows
* serial connection works on Linux, apparently, at least on Debian
* there is no reference to PearPC in this connection (and not much besides)

Could anyone, please, confirm that this is the case? As it appears
from the messages exchanged in 2003 on this topic, nobody seems to be
100% sure. I would be happy to learn the contrary, since from now
onwards, my main Mac will be a disk image on my PC machine, running
under emulation. I hate making Newton backups under Windows, and
don't have ethernet for Newton (my Asante FriendlyNet card does not
seem to be on the short list of working cards).

Well, best greetings to all.
Sincerely,
Mircea Boari