Re: [NTLK] iPhone

From: Larry Yaeger <lsynt_at_beanblossom.in.us>
Date: Sun Jul 01 2007 - 21:40:56 EDT

At 6:16 PM -0700 7/1/07, R A Parker wrote:
>I don't own an iPhone but isn't Flash supported in QuickTime?

No. And I'm pretty sure Flash has been left out of the iPhone for multiple reasons. I think there are some corporate licensing and cost issues between Adobe and Apple. But also Flash is known to be the source of a major portion of browser crashes on all platforms (I'm told that some browser developers simply discard any bug report that has Flash on the stack now). In addition, the encoder Flash uses for flv files used to be state of the art, but that time has long passed and it is now quite out of date. I think this is a large part, together with some negotiating by Apple, of course, why YouTube is embracing H.264 for encoding now.

Some also see the lack of Flash support on the iPhone as a golden opportunity for OpenLaszlo <http://www.openlaszlo.org/>.

- larryy