Re: [NTLK] [OT] [iPh] What I think of Newtons and iPhones

From: Tony Giunta <axg4903_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Jul 14 2007 - 10:09:22 EDT

On Jul 14, 2007, at 9:31 AM, Lord Groundhog wrote:
> Have I misunderstood things
> (being one of those in benighted not-North America with no chance
> to see an
> iPhone in action), or is an awful lot of extra functionality of the
> iPhone
> dependent upon being connected?

Sadly, this is the case. It's one of my major gripes against the
iPhone. While this whole Web 2.0 thing is nice, you don't get
persistent storage or offline access to the "applications". And you
have no access to most of the underlying hardware [I don't count
tapping a phone number and bringing up the phone]. But it's early
yet, and I think there's a decent chance that Apple will eventually
release an SDK to address this [he says, crossing his fingers].

> And then there's the question I have to ask, assuming that using
> the extra
> functionality is connection-dependent: how much will it cost to
> have a
> data-connection active for so much of the time?

The iPhone data plan for those of us who were existing Cingular
customers is $20/month for unlimited data, which I think is quite
reasonable. This is, of course, in addition to your voice plan.

<tony />

http://macolyte.net

If you're running Windows, its not my fault, stop asking me to fix it.