Re: [NTLK] Keyboard

From: Steven Scotten <splicer_at_paroxysm.com>
Date: Fri Jun 29 2007 - 15:13:00 EDT

On Jun 29, 2007, at 10:36 AM, kevin redding wrote:

>> Less ironic than a Treo with a Foleo! ;-)
>
> What the hell was Palm thinking?

I don't really want to get back into this topic, but I'll say this much:

I think Palm is trying to capitalize on a perception problem that's
been hurting them for years, which is the same perception problem
that killed (obviously the existence of this list and the fact that
I'm subscribed to it indicate a loose definition of "killed) the Newt.

The public believes that a handheld computer cannot be useful. A
computer the size of a Newt or a Tungsten TX is simply "too small" to
have any benefit to a user.

However, the public has swallowed hook, line, and sinker the idea
that you can have your entire office inside your cellphone.

Put together these ideas cannot possibly both be true, but they are
public perception.

Take handheld computing and tie it to a cellphone and you have the
benefits of form factor, instant on, efficient software design, etc
without the stigma of being an "undersized computer." Instead it's a
conduit into the cellphone, which everyone knows is just as powerful
as a desktop computer even if larger devices couldn't possibly be.

While I am not convinced that the Foleo will be a good device, I
absolutely admire the marketing position of making a handheld
computer into a cellphone accessory.

Steve