[NTLK] Connection Problems

From: Scott Rogers <srogers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 03 2007 - 20:10:02 EST

Hi all.

I received my new Newt this morning and am attempting to get
everything set up. I'm in one of those horrid catch-22 situations
that smacks of the days of Windows 3.1 and trying to install a CD-ROM
drive with drivers that are only available on CD. ;)

Here's the situation:

1) I have an old HP laptop that has a serial port built in. It will
not, however, connect to the internet. When I try to install the
Newton Connection Kit, the installer balks about not being able to
find a file. The farthest I've gotten it to go was to asking me to
insert disk 2, which, since I don't have the files on disk, is
problematic. I've tried putting the files on multiple floppies/CDs,
but have had no luck so far.

2) I have a 12" PB with no serial port, but I am using a Dynex
USB-Serial adapter. The adapter is installed in OS X and NewTen sees
it. The first time I ran NewTen and attempted to install a package,
the PB and the Newt saw one another and I got the beginnings of a a
progress bar on the Newt for a moment and then it timed out. I have
not been able to get NewTen to get past "handshaking" since.

3) I have an old G4 that I have not tried with the Newt yet, but as it
is the only machine in the house that will boot into pre-OS X, I may
just install OS 8.1 on it and see if that works.

Anyway advice would be wonderful.

Cheers