Re: [NTLK] emate battery

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Sat Mar 10 2007 - 16:32:20 EST

> I've seen some instructions on the web for replacing the
> batteries on an emate - taking apart the battery pack and
> putting in new NiMHs.

This was probably here:

    http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_battery_pack.html

> I might have a go as my emate seems not to hold a charge

Some eMates have a pretty hefty self-discharge rate. It
sometimes helps not to switch the eMate off by closing the
lid, but by using the power key first and closing the lid
then.
It can also help to install the latest operating system patch.
Apple fixed some powermanager-related issues with this patch.

> Does anyone have any experience of the battery
> replacement procedure?

I do.

> Were the original emate batteries NiMHs?

Yes.

> I am wondering if there's any risk involved, on
> the assumptions the originals might have been NiCd?

No risk involved if you use NiMH cells. Do NOT use NiCad
cells.

> My charger came with a Newton 120 but it seems to work OK
> with the emate.

Yes. All original Newton AC adapters work with the eMate.
The smaller version will need a little longer to charge
the battery.

Regards

Frank