Re: [NTLK] How to start clean

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Tue Mar 13 2007 - 11:04:49 EDT

Hi,
Sonny is correct. If you use a flash card to backup it will back up
everything on the internal store (packages, data, etc) IF you check the
"back up packages" as well. You can just back up data so if you are
going to do a brain wipe make sure you do that. Also I assume you mean
"ran out of memory" as in when you tap on the "i" in extras then memory
info it says your internal is full? If you are getting the "the newton
has ran out of memory and doesn't have enough to do what you ask,
restart may fix this issue" then you just ran out of heap and a reset
might fix that. If your storage is low then yes a brain wipe might help
but keep in mind that if you restore all the data and packages you will
be somewhat better (and probably faster) but not much if your storage is
truly full. Oh also remove your cards before you do a brain wipe. It
is possible (though unlikely) that it could damage the cards or your
data on the cards.

I am not sure about MailV stealing memory, but if I recall correctly
there is a temporary "cache" soup that may account for the "stealing" of
memory. I suggest you go into storage and see if you can find a soup
for MailV that is taking up a lot of space and delete it. Since your
mail is stored in IN/OUT and your connection settings in owner info it
shouldn't make any difference. I seem to remember doing this with
simple mail but it has been awhile. Also to be safe I suggest doing
that backup first before you delete the soup. Just in case. Besides
having a current backup on hand is always a good idea. Most other
Internet packages use a cache. Nethopper, Lunasuite, Newtscape etc use
them and they can get to be large at times though if I remember
correctly they have limiting features to keep it from getting too large.
 Although Lunasuite is known for its hunger of space in general and has
been known to corrupt cards due to bugs. I would stay away from that
one unless you are a adventurous soul and keep current backups.

-Dan