Re: [NTLK] NewtonWorld 'magazine'

From: Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG_at_aafes.com>
Date: Wed Mar 14 2007 - 10:53:46 EDT

        We had this discussion on a Atari chat last night. I don't like
to get lost in magazines too often, because all too often there either
mentions of what could have been (depressing), great upgrades that I
usually can't get anymore, or mentions of capibilities that the software
surpassed (as a community) years ago.

      All computer companies have the propaganda mags it seems. Apple
definitely, Atari had "Atari Explorer". Atari got so bad trying to
compete with William Shatner promoting the C=64 that they actually got
Walter Konig (Chekov), shoved a Mega Ste in front of him, and asked him
to publish an article about it.
      In the article Walter talked about how he found it useful for word
processing and so forth. Years later I met up with him at a con. He
was actually relieved somewhat that I was not there to see him but his
assistant who said she had a Atari 1200 that she was going to send to
me. (Never did, oh well). In passing I asked Walter (who was sitting
there resting) whatever became of the Atari Mega Ste. He had to really
think about it. When he remembered he said "Oh that... yeh didn't use
that much beyond the article." LOL I think he tossed that not long
afterwards was the impression I got.

      So NewtonWorld in my book would be about the same. Another
propaganda mag about "How great the Newton is, and if you don't believe
us, ask our paid actors." :)

      When it comes to Atari, and Newton, the developments of the
CURRENT community is what really interests me. Well, innovation &
creation by the company is cool to hear (Defying Gravity), and all the
development by people since. That is what I like to hear about.
        Marketing, which is what I would imagine NewtonWorld would be,
not so much.
      Doc Clu