Re: [NTLK] Works Right Margin Problem

From: Don V. Zahniser <irntooth_at_eznet.net>
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 08:43:32 EDT

On or about 3/16/07, Scott Rogers wrote:

>Could someone else download this file, unzip it, and import it into Works?
>
>http://bucket.littlemeanfish.com/Bibliography.zip
>
>I get an error upon import. If you DO get it to transfer, could you
>scroll to the right edge and see if the words are truncated?

I was able to get it to import, but I had to jump through some hoops
(using NCU in Classic on a G4 Cube):

1) The file as downloaded was not recognized by NCU, nor was it shown as
a candidate file to be opened by WordPerfect Mac under Classic.

2) I tried opening it in AbiWord, and it looked OK. I decided to try to
resave it, and Abiword gave me an option of 'Rich Text Format for old
apps'. I saved under a slightly different file name using that choice.
Still No Go - not recognized as available by either application in 1).

3) I used the excellent (but apparently abandoned) file manager Coela to
change the type/creator for the files to TEXT/SimpleText. The files
were then recognized as available for processing by both NCU and
WordPerfect Mac.

Here's where it starts to get complicated, and I hope I remember
correctly exactly what happened.

4) When I tried to work with the original file with the changed type/
creator, it either crashed Classic entirely (Import under NCU) or
crashed WordPerfect (Classic stayed up) when I tried to import it.

5) I was able to open the 'RTF for old apps' file from AbiWord with the
changed type/creator under WordPerfect Mac under Classic. It looked
OK. However, it crashed NCU when I tried to import it.

6) I re-saved the file from WordPerfect Mac by exporting using XTND, and
choosing RTF (again, slightly altering the file name). This uses the
_same_ translator files as are used by NCU.

7) Imported the resulting RTF file into Works. The Works document shows
a 6.5 inch right margin, and it appears that everything wraps without
truncation (although I did not critically read the file for completeness).

Whew!

HTH...

 - Don

--
Don V. Zahniser
PowerMac G4 Cube, 450 MHz,  Mac OS 10.4.9, 1.25 GB RAM