Re: [NTLK] Boy, I want the same drug...

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 17 2007 - 16:34:10 EDT

~~~ On 2007/03/17 18:37, mkow1234@aol.com at mkow1234@aol.com wrote ~~~

> As I look at this simple AA battery tray, the thought occurs that this piece
> OUGHT to be fairly easy to reproduce in quantity... Does not seem too complex.
> I'll bet I could just about make a mold fairly easily. Well, if I can't,
> SOMEBODY ought to!

In theory I think you're right Matt. I was thinking that very thing at one
point. Then I did a rough-and-ready measure of the tolerances. Unless I'm
completely off-base, the Newt was so precisely specified, there's little
room for error.

As I reckoned it, together with the thickness of the batteries inside the
pack the shell of the Newton outside the pack is a pretty unforgiving set of
limits, so no mistakes allowed. The tolerances remind me of the engineering
of something like an automatic pistol. Thick bits or parts that are a
little out would probably cause the tray to get stuck, or even pry the
Newton's two halves apart in time.

Having decided reluctantly that this project was beyond me, I was really
pleased to find proper trays to *buy* -- and for a whole lot less than $99.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.˛
            -- What Arthur C. Clarke meant to say

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl