Re: [NTLK] partitioning cards (ATA / Flash)

From: R A Parker <Quadzillanet_at_SBCGlobal.net>
Date: Wed May 02 2007 - 18:01:00 EDT

I'm not sure if someone answered any of your questions but let me try.

On Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 12:47 am giorgio razzano wrote:

> My problem is that I'll have partitions
> smaller than that (lets say 8MB ...).

Well, you may want to consider how it all works. The Newton and ATA, that
is. The question is WHY? You should consider 32MB partitions as average
working size.

> Now the questions are:
> - what software can I use to
> partitioning my cards (ATA or FLASH)?

From what I understand, the Newton and ATA driver are One with each other.
Not compatible with the outside world. Put a CF card into a PCMCIA-CF
Adapter and put the whole thing in your Newton. Open your card app and
format / partition.

After formatting on your Newton, if you stick the same setup into your
laptop, you will not see the partitions and typically be asked to reformat
an unreadable device. You will NOT want to do that, of course. If you do,
you will erase your Newton's data.

vice-versa with cards formatted on a laptop or camera. They will be
unreadable in your Newton.

> - will a partitioned ATA card
> - with more than 4 partitions
> - be recognize by Paul's driver
> (at least the first 4 partitions)?

I think not... see above.

> - which type and how big are the cards
> do you use? Do you have partitions?

I would consider 256MB-512MB to be plenty, more than that might be too
much. Besides, I'd be tempted to reformat something bigger than that and
use it for my camera or MP3 player.

> How do you organize your soups in
> the partitions?

My plan would be to have the internal storage for important data and
apps/drivers. Stuff I want access to all the time, with or without any
additional storage cards online. This helps make card backups easier too.

Second, I would have a partition for extra apps. Those apps and extras that
are too big to fit on internal storage yet I feel are must haves.

Third, I would have a partition for Internet cache. So I can easily erase
it and clean up any memory fragmentation from files constantly being
created and deleted.

Forth, I wouId use the remaining space for very big stuff... eBooks and
such.

> - partitioning the cards will
> be faster the Newton

hmmm... Your Newton is faster and more powerful than a stock Mac SE.

> - is there another way (freezing soups)
> to increase the heap? What do you use
> for that?

Heap is another story all together.