Re: [NTLK] The UMPC dies.

From: Rod <lavo_at_ozmac.com>
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 23:09:58 EDT

On 4/5/07 10:46 AM, "Richard Henderson" <richard@reversesnowplow.com> wrote:

> As a Tablet PC owner, I have to disagree whole-heartedly.
> My Tablet PC, after enough training, recognizes my handwriting just as well
> as my 2100.
> We should all be supportive of ANY platform that offers HWR as a prime
> feature; there's no chance of Apple ever bringing back a Newton-type device
> unless companies like MS make sufficient penetration into the market.
>
> Apple will never bring HWR back like they tried to with the Newton unless
> they think they can sell it. The constant failures of Tablet PC and UMPC
> just reinforces his Royal Steveness that not bringing it back was the right
> decision.
>
> "Can't we all just get along?"

True. Even using an iMate PDA/Phone, I found the recognition pretty good.
The only thing that sucked was the phone waited until you finished writing
before converting, rather than continuous conversion like the Newton.

I was watching a guy at the airport one day with a full size tablet pc. He
looked like he was struggling with the size and weight. It would be like
carrying around a large Wacom tablet everywhere you go. The 2100 size wise
I think is what they should be aiming for. If MS had some balls, they
should change their UI to suit the device. Windows Mobile still looks like
Windows Desktop shrunk to fit a phone. Its seems Apple in way way have the
right idea with OS X - the Finder changes in look and feel depending on the
device (the Apple TV has a modified Finder, and I am guessing the iPhone is
the same). Why can't Microsoft do the same?

I wouldn't be so sure Apple won't put their hand back in for hwr. Rosetta
is built in to OS X to start with. As for the iPhone, I can understand why
they left out the stylus. But the touchscreen, built in Rosetta and a
modified Finder can point towards a future device. Its whether the market
pushes them in a direction to build it. What Nokia does with the N800 and
Intel's new MID platform will determine that.

Seeya

Rod!