Re: [NTLK] Found this on engadget...

From: Scott Rogers <srogers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 15:29:51 EDT

Much of this is, of course, discipline-specific, but I routinely
threaten to take away my students' crappy note-taking systems.
Highlighters (which make them feel like they're studying without
actually studying). Spiral-bound notebooks (which get mangled in
their backpacks and don't allow them to find anything quickly).
3-ring binders that take up far more space than they should.

What do I threaten to replace it all with?

A large moleskine notebook. A legal pad. A manilla folder for each
class. Some 3x5 note cards.

Often, it seems, people envision some brilliant and simple
technological solution for all this, but what they wind up with is
some sort of elaborate Rube Goldberg-esque machine that ties your
shoes in only 127 steps.

***

I've been using some sort of PDA since the Palm Pilot (upgraded to
Professional!). Then I ditched it all for a paper calendar and a 5x8
note card for to-dos. Then I ditched that for a Palm again. Then I
ditched the Palm for a paper calendar (Hipster PDA + circa notebook).

What have I learned from all this? I always want the gadget to do
something it's not very good at.

I've picked up a Newton again...mostly just for fun.