Re: [NTLK] MP130 Unearthed and Soon to be Loved

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 07:49:23 EDT

On 5/7/2007 11:34 PM, Roman Hultay wrote:
> I just found my MP130, haven't touched it since 1998, and it's in
> fantastic shape.
>
> However, I am missing my Keyboard, Serial Cable, and any other accessories.
>
> What I want to do is:
> Make a new Serial Cable from scratch, does anyone have a diagram?
> Connect with Linux
> Update the OS (if necessary), it's 2.0 at the moment
> Get a WiFi Card Working via PCMCIA (?)
>
> I appreciate any help I can get.

Well making a serial cable is possible. It won't connect to linux per
se, at least with the standard tools. You can with Simon Bell's OS X
connection utilities or the standard utilities. But I don't believe
there is any Linux only tools around.

As for the OS you can't update it. It is 2.0 and that is it. You would
need a new ROM and 2.0 was the last (and only) that was made for the 130.

Wifi is not possible on a 130. You would have to get a 2x00 unit for
that and Heroshi's driver which a registered (unlimited) version is hard
to come by these days. A 130 can connect to the internet but not
easily. You have to freeze every extra package and even then you will
get some out of heap errors at times. But it is possible.

-Dan