[NTLK] Bootstrapping a 2100 via an eMate?

From: Douglas Johnston <douglas.johnston_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat May 12 2007 - 01:22:43 EDT

Hi folks. I'm new here, and new to Newtons, so please forgive me if
this is a stupid question.

I've just acquired a 2100 and an eMate, both brainwiped. I also have
a MacBook Pro, a Mac serial cable, a Keyspan USB-to-serial adapter,
and a wireless ethernet card (which is one that's supposed to work
with the Newts). While I'm waiting for my USB-to-interconnect cable
to arrive from Adriano, I'm trying to figure out how to get packages
on the 2100, most notably the ethernet ones so I can set up wireless.

Staring at all those pieces of hardware (and this feels vaguely like
that scene among the engineers in Apollo 13 where they have to create
a CO2 scrubber from random parts), it finally dawned on me that the
eMate had a regular serial port. I used NewTen to push a file (the
Doonesbury "book") to the eMate via the serial/Keyspan, then beamed
it to the 2100. Success!

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work with the NIE2 packages, as I
can't beam them due to their copy protection. So I'm no closer to
getting the 2100 online. Any ideas as to how I might move the NIE
packages to the 2100?

all my best,
dj

--