[NTLK] I fixed my Emate

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat May 12 2007 - 13:17:27 EDT

Man have I been posting a lot lately. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, while I
was doing the hinge repair on my Emate, I broke the volume slider. Not the
actual electronic component, I broke that little tail on the plastic slider.
So I have been setting the volume by using a tooth pick. Well today I fixed
the plastic slider and I did it with out needing to open the Emate again.
Here's what I did. Take a small straw from say a kids drink box. It should
be tight enough to fit on the plastic tab left on the broken plastic slider.
Don't worry if it is a bit loose. We just don't want a sloppy fit. Next
press it down through the slot and engage the plastic tab on the volume
slider component. You will probably need to flatten the straw a bit to et it
to fit. Mark the straw so you can cut it off flush with the case. Remove the
straw and cut it to length. Now, using a tooth pick or some other slender
object, position the straw back over the plastic tab of the slider
component. Last step, coax the volume plastic slider's tab into the end of
the exposed straw. It should fit quite tight at this point as there is not a
lot of extra width in the slot. And there you have it. Five minutes work and
you don't have to take the Emate apart. I'll let you know how it holds up
over time.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
mhowe@gfn.org (Newton)