Re: [NTLK] german notephone problem

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 22 2007 - 17:00:36 EDT

On 5/22/07, simon <simski@dds.nl> wrote:

> for most of you this is somewhat off-topic, because it is about
> telephone line standards in europe.

I don't think it's OT - this is related to the use of a Newton.
And there are those of us with NotePhones.

I live in Amsterdam, The Netherlands and i own a German Notephone.
> There are some differences between thetelephone systems. for instance
> the RJ11 to connect the phone to the landline has a different wiring
> scheme. in the netherlands, we use the middle pair of wires, but in
> germany they use the outer pair. could there be more differences?

 There also is a hook issue with the Newton - mine suffers from it and even
though I've tried the fix - it still has issues... mine won't hang up but I
think Frank has a fix but it did not work on my completely.. :( In the US we
use the inner pair also... I'm able to use it but the hook issue occurs and
then the NotePhone won't hangup the phone ....

because:

> i can place a call or let the newton place a call, but i am unable to
> go on hook again. could it be that the voltages are also different?

Not sure - but I don't think it should affect it...

is there someone in the netherlands with as working phone to compare
> the innards?
> --

Sorry I'm unfortunately in the US

--