Re: [NTLK] german notephone problem

From: simon <simski_at_dds.nl>
Date: Sun May 27 2007 - 05:08:26 EDT

On 26-mei-2007, at 23:33, Frank Gruendel wrote:

> Just to save some bandwidth wasted on speculation...
>
> Every NotePhone on this planet will eventally
> start suffering from severe unwillingness to hang
> up. There are different incarnations of this
> problem. Some will never hang up, some will work
> OK for as long as the mainboard is cold. You
> might try to put your NotePhone in the fridge
> for a couple of minutes and try again. Chances
> are good that it will work. Then warm it up with
> a hairdryer, and it will refuse hanging up
> a couple of seconds later.

then it sounds like a soldering problem. i will look into that.

> From what I can understand of how the circuit
> ticks without having any technical documentation
> to check, I'm inclined to think that this phone
> was developed by people who, well, let's phrase it
> politely, should have chosen some other profession.

not neccesarry, could be that management just gave them too little
time to develop the subcircuit. i have seen many examples of lack of
developement time and wrong management choices (like killing the newt
line...)

> Since you are in the Netherlands and I'm in
> Germany, you might send me your NotePhone. Maybe
> I can fix it. If I can't, it will only cost you what
> it costs me to ship it back at cost.

no thanks. i am just inquiring for more experiences with this phone
so i can pinpoint the problem and fix and document it.
I have not yet tried to put the phone in the fridge. But it could as
well be the famous capacitor problem all electronics have from that
area. I allready fixed caps in 3 Macintosh Portables and a powerbook
100. The Next cubes are waiting... and maybe the notephone as well.

--
met vriendelijke groet
Simon Claessen