Re: [NTLK] 2100 stylus silo problem

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Nov 13 2007 - 20:11:04 EST

Be aware that this may also not be anything broken at all...
  If a piece of "crud" (technical term) is lodged in the silo, then when the stylus pushes down on the "clicky" part of the holder, the holder will not align with the ridge on the stylus to hold it in place. The stylus holder works like a clicky-retractable pen...same idea....except that when the stylus is in place, these plastic jaws reach up and grab the pen at the groove...
  I had a problem where I lost the stylus nib on my stylus and couldn't find it....I made a new one out of some scrap delrin. But when I pushed the stylus into the silo, it wouldn't click...the pen went in most of the way, but it wouldn't click...turns out that the stylus nib was lodged inthe clicky part of the silo and prevented the plastic jaws from grabbing the stylus.
  I hope this helps...I know I used a lot of *highly* technical jargon (techy people tend to be jingo-istic) ;-)

  Ed
  web/gadget guru
Sonny Hung <sonnyhung@gmail.com> wrote:
  On Nov 13, 2007 11:33 AM, Lord Groundhog wrote:
> I guess my question really should be, can it be fixed with just a simple
> procedure to re-align something, or a procedure for replacing a part, or
> is
> it something more complicated?

Personally I would suggest just replacing the part - If located in the US
contact me off list...

> What I'm thinking of is, is there a possibility that something has just
> popped out of somewhere, and I need to go in carefully so as not to lose a
> spring or bend something essential? Or can I just go ahead and dismantle
> the thing?

IIRC this part is composed of a square/rectangular plastic frame which has
to plastic inserts which form the spring lock mechanism which possibly
interlock - unfortunately I recall it being a pain to take apart and put
back together - at least for my large hands. Within this there is also a
spring which I don't recall it's shape, but likely a similar construction as
those in a pen but smaller - I could be wrong here as it's been awhile since
I took it apart.

Replacing the part is simple (as a whole) however it could be just something
out of alignment also as you suggest but I'd doubt it... but you can prove
me wrong here ;-P

Much success Christian in resolving this... I too hate it when one of these
goes awry.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung