[NTLK] NIE and the TCP stack

From: Ben Sanford <dethl.selin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Nov 16 2007 - 13:25:24 EST

I'm currently working on finishing up Eckhart's GCC compiler (going to
finish the rom jump table for the MP2x00 and eventually make one for
the eMate - this is so I can target the MP2x00 or the eMate
specifically for the best compatibility) and I'm looking ahead at
making a port of PuTTY SSH. While I can implement most, if not all,
the basic functions that handle encryption and whatnot my big problem
is with the communications part. I could use the Newton's own built
in handlers (eg. the nasty NIE stack) or I could attempt to port one.

I found a project called uIP
(http://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/index.php/Main_Page) which is a very
small, low ram TCP stack for embedded microcontrollers - the code is
complete but the only thing required to actually port is to make a
device driver. In my case the driver would be a bridge between the
NIE TCP stack code and the TCP stack itself - but I'm wondering if
this is feasible? If so, we could have an actual TCP stack although
it will have to be compiled into each application individually.

I'm looking for some feedback on this. I'm going to be a very bored
grad student starting next semester and wouldn't mind playing around
with this and giving the Newton a true TCP stack would give it a major
boost.