Re: [NTLK] eBook reader?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Wed Nov 28 2007 - 12:13:16 EST

On 11/28/2007 10:34 AM, Goodwin, Greg P. wrote:

> As for the converting, generally I would take a format, find a way to
> extract the text (like taking a pdf, getting the extended version of
> Acrobat so I could capture the text) and then paste the text in the
> Newton Book Maker...(forgot the formal name... been a year or two since
> I've used it.) Worked alright.
>
> As someone once said, crude but effective.

NewtonBookmaker is great and fast though a bit of a learning curve
compared to Newton Press. I still get my books in ebook form like
palmdoc and extract the text and dump that to Newton Book Maker then
create a package then to my Newton. I can convert a nice size book in
about 5 or 10 minutes with a table of contents.

Though you could also try Paperback, it is much simpler in creation but
its automated table of contents is not 100% accurate unless you do some
tweaking in the source text. And to my mind if I am going to do that I
might as well use Book Maker and have bookmarks. Of course you normally
won't be able to use the full screen with bookmaker if you have a 2000,
but that never bothered me. Anyway if you want a simple reader that
works with any size screen without bookmarks, try Paperback. If you
want more control over your table of contents etc then go with Bookmaker
or press.

-Dan