Re: [NTLK] Goodbye

From: Jack Mottram <jack_at_submitresponse.co.uk>
Date: Thu Nov 29 2007 - 07:18:14 EST

> I've been reading this thread with a bit of sadness. And I don't
> know if I
> am the last heavy user or the rest just aren't commenting. I use my
> 2000U
> everyday.

Well, I'm probably still in the honeymoon period when it comes to the
Newton (I only started using one last March) but it has very quickly
become indispensible, and I use it daily, and pretty heavily - a
surprise to me, as I bought one to tinker with as a treat for my 30th
birthday, being a fan of, as others on the list obviously are,
obsolete/esoteric technology in general, beyond the Newton.

Somehow the Newton just insinuated itself into my life, almost
instantly, and I now use it as a sort of standalone planner for all
meetings, deadlines, etc. - I just decided syncing beyond what NCX
offers wasn't necessary when the Newton handles everything so well,
and so iCal on the MacBook Pro now only deals with emailing me
recurring tasks (watering the plants and such). I do make a lot of
backups to be on the safe side, though ;-)

And, since I bought a keyboard from a list member (er, along with
another MP2100 to play with!) it's become a limited laptop
replacement, which, with no temptations to muck about on the web,
watch videos, etc. lets me write quickly without distractions, and no
real risk of the battery dying when I'm out travelling for work
(unlike my Nokia, it must be said). I suspect the main reason for
daily use is that the Newton doesn't, for whatever reason, feel like
just a tool to get stuff done, though it certainly is that - using it
is good fun, a pleasure.

One last slightly off-topic observation: I have a terrible tendency to
tell my non-techy friends tales of my current gadget obsession, boring
them stiff in the process, but as soon as you show someone who has
little interest in technology a Newton, they can't keep their hands
off it, and can't stop asking questions, which says something about
the device's immediately understandable usability, I think.

Cheers,

Jack

--
mail:  jack@submitresponse.co.uk