Re: [NTLK] Pepper Linux OS and the Einstein project

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 04:46:31 EDT

On 10/26/07, Daniel Jagendorf <bufoamer@nyct.net> wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2007, at 10:51 AM, newtontalk@newtontalk.net wrote:
> Well, Victor gave up the newt for a pepper pad.

by golly, I missed that!

> It's meant to be an internet tablet, something you leave around the
> house for when you want to use the web without being tied to your
> computer.
> The screen size is great, twice the size of the newton. It won't
> fit in your pocket.

Well, my Newt doesn't fit into any pockets I have, either--no loss
there. However, bigger than a Newton. hm. I use a Rip-off case for my
Newton--hangs from my belt, but it's _big_. My palm does much better
there...

> It's touch sensitive and works with a stylus: there's no HWR. The
> keys work for hunt and peck--you're supposed to hold it in both hands
> or lay it flat to type.

I read somewhere that it didn't have a touch screen, so this is good news...

> Like the Nokia it's better to use a bluetooth keyboard for text entry.
>
> I bought the first version and found it kind of pokey.
> Version 3 is supposed to be faster but I haven't had a chance to use it.
> There are a bunch of reasons why I found it to be disappointing: no
> mac support, difficult to use or implement programs (that's probably
> gotten better but I suspect
> that it helps to understand linux programming), general non-newtness.

No Mac support? Hm. I need to look into what software does run... I
don't fear *nix. I have Ubuntu installed, and a _very_ complete X11
environment on my Mac (both Gnome--two versions, and KDE, with full
complements of programs, including several self-installed from source)

> Victor did get einstein to run on it. He's also written several
> programs for it. I tried installing them but couldn't make it happen.

Cool...
> Here's a link to their site: http://www.pepper.com/

I've been there, but I'm _more_ interested in where Victor has his
stuff? Do you know a url for this?

And thanks everybody for your comments so far!

One more question, there is the new Asus eee out. Any thoughts on it?
In comparison to the PepperPad and Nokia tablets?

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland