Re: [NTLK] No Classic Support in Leopard

From: Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 15:15:51 EDT

On Oct 26, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Giulio Marchi wrote:

> Just yesterday I was wondering about this. Actually either I am
> missing
> something or the "real problem" would be Newton Press. So far I always
> used either the Windows version or the buggy Classic version and I
> never really looked for other solutions. Probably NewtsCape would be
> the most complete, still less handy if compared to all the options in
> Press.

Newton Press and NTK (the development environment) are really the two
major apps that regular basis that would require Mac OS 9 or earlier,
but both seem to run reasonably well in Basillisk II (a 68k Mac
emulator; see <http://basilisk.cebix.net/> or <http://
gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/basilisk2/>) for most people.

Basilisk can be run on Intel or PowerPC Macs as well as under Windows
and Linux, although buggier and not integrated like the Classic
environment was. I believe that serial port support can be be flaky
(at least on Macs) and so using NCU under it was not very reasonable,
that's why I was mainly thinking of NCX being the solution with
regard to Classic going away.

I have to admit that I've had keyboard mapping issues with Basilisk
that caused me to give it up, but others have reported quite a bit of
success.

Morgan Aldridge

--
morgant@makkintosshu.com