Re: [NTLK] OT - Do you speak BBC English?

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Sun Sep 02 2007 - 07:05:39 EDT

In Australia, we've somehow been so disconnected from the world that
some people think "Aussie" is our strange national language and not a
variant of english. Although we speak english quite proudly, the
accents of some of us can be hard to grasp. For instance, I have a
friend at uni who has the thickest aussie accent you can find, which
I can understand no problem. My girlfriend was born in Bangladesh,
moved to New Zealand when she was young and to Australia about five
or six years ago and although she now has a slight aussie accent and
understands nearly all slang words, she never has any idea what he's
saying, so just nods, laughs and says "Yeah". So it's not always the
dialect of a language that you speak, but also the way in which you
pronounce it. ;-)
Regards,
   - Adam Goddard