[NTLK] OT Do you speak BBC English?

From: <mkow1234_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon Sep 03 2007 - 11:48:36 EDT

Hmm... I think I just got "grammar served"...? :O)

Just to briefly clarify a point, I never maintained that the English should adapt our language practices.

I believe that 'human perceptions' play a role in this as well. We judge others based upon the manner in which they use language. If one tends to speak and write like a British aristocrat from before the First World War (to paraphrase Kurt Vonnegut), we tend to 'disregard' the message. I say, "Write not from the gutter, nor from the parapet, but from a respectable vantage".

Best regards,

Matt K.
Detroit, Michigan USA