Re: [NTLK] Palm kills Folio before it's birth...

From: Steven Scotten <splicer_at_paroxysm.com>
Date: Thu Sep 06 2007 - 04:43:07 EDT

On Sep 6, 2007, at 12:55 AM, Robert JA Basilio Jr wrote:

> Thanks Martin for the heads up. And, despite its criticisms, I
> wanted to
> have one. The Foleo is the closest anyone can get to the PowerBook
> 2400. But
> then again, that's my opinion. :)
> Robert

As enthusiastic as I am about the Foleo in concept, it did seem to be
foolhardy for Palm to pursue two entirely different Linux-based
platforms, one for their upcoming PDA/smartphone devices and another
solely for the Foleo. It was the sort of decision that seemed like it
was being rushed to market as an immature product without promising
developers a platform with legs.

As much as I hate to wait, I think "Foleo II" based on the same OS as
the handheld devices that will be out at that time is a much smarter
move.

The sad part is that the public false start will erode confidence in
the very concept and poison the market. Here's a though experiment:
if Apple had developed the iPhone exactly as it is today five years
ago, would it have flopped in the market due to sneering comparisons
to the Newton? The people that don't get it will always loudly
proclaim that a failure to bring a product to market means that their
lack of understanding is a sign of superior intelligence.

Steve