Re: [NTLK] [OT] Huge int'l roaming fees for iPhone (was Re: Test...)

From: Paul Braun <cygnus_at_ctgonline.org>
Date: Wed Sep 12 2007 - 18:49:43 EDT

Sonya Hipper wrote:
> Not quite...this is (l)user error for the most part. Here's why...
>

> Someone should have RTFM and RTFSP (Read The Fine Small Print™), or
> even just called AT&T customer support and (ya know...) *asked* rather
> than just assuming that there would be no price differential once
> outside the *country* in which they had service.
>
> About the only fault I'd assign Apple in all this is the SIM-lock, but
> there are now 3rd party software-only solutions for that as well...

And there is an option to turn the phone/radio bits of the iPhone off
completely - it's something like "airplane settings" -- so you can use
it as an iPod or whatever when you're on a plane, yet the actual RF
section is shut down. You would just do that before you left the
country, and leave it turned off until you get back home.

--
Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN