Re: [NTLK] More spurious rumors or ?

From: Steve Scotten <splicer_at_paroxysm.com>
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 14:35:13 EDT

matthiasm wrote:
> But again, listening to a computer voice for anything but short text
> clipping is *pain*-*ful*.

Interestingly enough, two of my favorite audiobooks were Stephen
Hawkings books, read by the author. One of them was a series of lectures
that he gave, which made me wonder about the nature of authorship and
"live" lectures. Since he writes his lectures in advance and runs them
through his voice synthesizer, does he even have to be there for a live
lecture?

I'll grant that Hawkings speech synthesis has the advantage of having a
human control it, and make decisions about inflection and pronunciation.
Although I wonder how much control he has, as he apologizes for his
American accent at the beginning of each lecture. Still, I'm sure that
having a human being in control who knows what he means the word to
sound like makes a big difference over automatic computer voice output.
Or perhaps a small but important difference.

Steve