Re: [NTLK] Adriano's lost shipments and Italian postal system

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 16:39:01 EDT

On 21.04.2008, at 15:53, Goodwin, Greg P. wrote:
> How is a German keyboard different?

The z and y are swapped (almost no Y in German, so why should id be zo
prominent), the braces and brackets on the right are replace with
umlauts ä ö and ü, all the stuff above the numeric keys is shifted and
sometimes changed (hey, we really do need the € (Euror) to pay and how
would we ever type sz if we didn't have the ß (beta, prnounced "s" as
in "mass").

Oh, and the left shift key is shorter to make room for the < and > .
And the right Alt key is called AltGr and works as an entirely
different shift key to give us the #, @, [, \, |, ], {, and } which
never made it onto our regular keyboard.

In short, since my first days, I used British and the US keyboards. I
*hate* German keyboards even though I can not type the Umlauts in my
own mother tongue without twisting my fingers. Programming however is
absolute torture on a German keyboard. For regular keyboards, I can
simple mail-order a US version in Germany, but buying a laptrop pretty
much requires a trip to the States :-/

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/