Re: [NTLK] PCMCIA Modem Card?

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 08 2008 - 07:41:13 EDT

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Steve <steve@craftsathome.net> wrote:
> As a USA resident, I am currently locked into AT&T for my cellular/wireless
> service. I was thinking about getting a PCMCIA modem card to use to get
> ontothe internet, maybe as a FAX, possibly send SMS. (1) I don't know
> whichpiece of hardware will work in 2008 and (2) which apps will work with
> what.

Hey Steve,

IIRC I have a card somewhere that may work for your application.
Here is a link the pics:
http://flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/sets/72157602409519871/

I purchased this awhile ago and did not get to test it because I don't have
a data account for my (then) Cingular account which was converted to AT&T
after theri merger/buyout...

There Sim Card and the labeling on the front of the card is AT&T so it
should work. The original seller said that he changed services and then just
put this card away so it should work IIRC. I can't find my email
transactions to verify this 100% but I'm 99.999% sure....

It's the Merlin G100 by Novatel and is recognized when iserted. i think they
used this with a particular software package but do not recall which feature
you want that they were using with it. Hopefully someone on list can chime
in on this. IF you are seriously interested I'd consider letting this go
from my collection to help you out on your quest to get online, but I
unfortunately have no clue which of the desired function other than maybe
SMS IIRC that it was used for... I believe internet maybe possible with it
too but I'm not sure about it even 99.999% on that...

Much success to you :) and I hope this helps.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung