Re: [NTLK] Newbie question: Newton Museum DVD = Unna DVD?

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Wed Aug 20 2008 - 08:35:22 EDT

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Marisa Giancarla <fstltna@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't have the bandwidth to download 4.7gb - could someone make a copy
> for me? I will supply the blank DVD-R...

As Woody mentioned, it is-in fact around 9GB, uncompressed.

I can split the disk image and burn it to a pair of DVDs for anyone
that wants it for a $10+ donation (no credit card payments, please) to
unna@unna.org. That should cover the $1.70 for media & case, plus
shipping & packaging (no handling charges, naturally), and anything
else you want to tack on there will help UNNA.org.

Also, I'll be using Taiyo Yuden DVD+R media (single layer, not
dual-layer) for best archival shelf life. If this will be a problem
for you for any reason (e.g. you don't have a DVD+R capable optical
drive), please let me know. I still have a few Apple DVD-R discs
laying around I can use.

Please note that I'll be be merely splitting the Newton Museum.dmg
file into two parts so you'll need to either have both discs inserted
at the same time (probably with aliases) or copy both to your hard
drive and then open them. The reason for this is that while the data
on the disk image is only over 8GB in capacity, it is not organized in
such a way for me to quickly and easily split it out into multiple
discs, uncompresses.

I know there was an ISO version of this floating around at one point
as well (I have a small percentage of it, but the torrent is gone). I
seem to recall that the member of the list that created that may have
split it more evenly already. Was that the case?

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/