Re: [NTLK] ATA Linear flash speed

From: R A Parker <QuadzillaNET_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Sun Aug 24 2008 - 15:22:00 EDT

As far as I'm concerned, ATA is working better than I would have even
dreamed possible. Kudos to Paul Guyot for the release of such a fantastic
piece of software. It is smooth, polished and feels as though it were a
natural part of the Newton OS.

My setup: PCMCIA Compact Flash Card Type II Adapter (CA-122) with a Ridata
1GB Pro 150x Compact Flash Card. I have initially partitioned the CF card
as 1-4MB & 3-Max Size (330MB). I am able to swap the ATA card between my
2100 and eMate. I've seen only minor issues in doing so.

I may change my partition structure in the future. So, I was curious as to
whether I would be able to backup and restore my partitions, thereby saving
myself all this effort I've put into loading up these HUGE partitions.

I have an additional success to report: Just did a full backup over my Wifi
network (using NCU), with the ATA card loaded and all partitions mounted.
NCU backed up every single partition as if they were native Linear Flash
cards. Incredible! Nice... very nice indeed. It happened so fast, I wasn't
watching the first time to hit stop on my stopwatch. I had to do the backup
again just to get the stats on the speed.

The combined size of all backup files created, including the Newton Device
backup file was 16.6MB and it took exactly 9 minutes to complete.

Say what?!

How's that for a backup... That's about 31.5KB/sec ...

I would say that it is about as fast as it gets. I'm definitely going to
have to re-check these figures again. But, from what I calculated, this is
faster than what I've measured for backing up my Newton when I had my 24MB
Linear Flash inserted.

Impressive.

More ATA testing to follow...

Ron

--
Sent using GoFetch and a Wireless Newton 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM
--
Fetch...Send...Stay... "Good Boy!"